The COVID-19 outbreak and the subsequent lockdown have hit oral health in many ways. But, it has not been discussed about much. Of course, we have bigger things to worry about. In order to solve this problem here’s the best dentist advice for you.
We at Smile Please Dental Clinic in Sector 17, Vashi, Navi Mumbai and our Super- specialist Dr. Sharad Kumar M.D.S.(Ortho) have started work with full precautions from COVID 19. But we have to postpone certain elective procedures and will carry out only emergency interventions for them until further notice. So, here are 10 simple tips to keep your teeth in good health.
- Brush properly two times per day: Brush your teeth for three minutes in the morning and before going to bed. Use a toothbrush with a flexible handle; soft or medium-bristled ones preferred. Preferably use cream type toothpaste. Use vibratory strokes in an upward to downward motion for your upper teeth and vice versa for the lower set. Focus on three teeth at a time.
- Use dental floss and interdental brushes to clean food lodged between teeth. Refrain from using fingernails, toothpicks and safety pins.
- Avoid medicated mouthwashes, unless prescribed by a dentist. Use them only after proper consultation.
- To avoid bad breath, clean your tongue once daily with your toothbrush. Avoid stainless steel tongue cleaners as they may damage your taste buds.
- Those with toothaches, swelling and ulcers, and those bleeding from the gums should contact a dentist. Avoid self-medication.
- Use antibiotics only when prescribed by a dentist. Antibiotic resistance is a clear and present danger. Never use antibiotics from leftover strips.
- Clean removable dental appliances and dentures with cleansing tablets or solutions. Ensure that they are disinfected every day.
- The stress during lockdown can lead to problems such as ulcers, dry mouth and jaw joint problems due to grinding of the teeth or gum diseases. If it is worrying you, do contact a dentist. Most importantly, avoid stress.
- Always keep your toothbrush at least six feet away from your toilet. Make sure insects and lizards cannot reach your brush. Rinse the brush with lukewarm water before use.
- Eat a balanced diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables. Do daily workouts of 30 minutes. Get your daily quota of sunlight. Sleep well. Avoid smoking and limit your alcohol intake.
Should any need arise for any dental treatment, we are available now to help you.
DR. SHARAD KUMAR at SMIILE PLEASE SUPER SPECIALITY DENTAL CLINIC
OFFICE N0.203, 2nd FLOOR, NIRMAN VYAPAR KENDRA, PLOT NO. 10, SECTOR 17, VASHI, NAVI MUMBAI. Website: www.smiileplease.com TEL: 9821662442, 9930185453, 02227657810.